Choose a date
Price from € 32.50 per person
Medieval Amsterdam Tour
Behind all the coffee shops and red light windows is the beginning of Amsterdam as a great trading center. Come with us as we expose the cities beginnings, its people, and its stories. Some of the earliest buildings from the 15 hundreds still survive, as well as the original dykes and dams that make the Dutch engineering heroes. You will get a feel for Amsterdams catholic past, and the work places of the ordinary guildsman. You will even get a chance during your tour to taste a medieval street food still enjoyed today.
See the oldest house, and the oldest inn, as well as slues gates and bulwarks of the early city. Hear stories of the local people, daily routines of the time, and taste their food. Walk over dykes and through streets that make up the outline of our city center. Visit the places of the Civic Guard; their towers and gates are still standing in the city.
- We start our tour with a house still standing from 1400 and hear the oldest religious story of the time, The Miracle of Amsterdam.
- We twist and turn through the old streets and stop for a picture of Amsterdam’s southern most defensive tower, The Munt, and walk through our oldest market square.
- Continue walking past the old gate house, the Waag, and see areas of the city devoted to industry or faith. See the oldest sailors inn and cry with us at the tower of tears on the sea dyke.
- Walk along the cities first defensive and transportation canal the Single.
- End your tour at the very heart of it all the Dam Square.
SPUI SQUARE: next to the only statue. A little boy named lieverdje.
Things to bring
- Printed voucher
- English speaking experienced tour guide
- Items of personal nature incl. drinks
- Your own rain gear if weather is bad
Cancellations more than a week in advance only administration costs of 15%
Cancellation between a week and 48 hours prior to departure date: 50% of the total amount
Cancellation less than 48 hours prior to departure date: 100% of the total amount
No show: no restitution
This tour requires a minimum of 4 participants
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Daily at 01:30 pm
Spui , Amsterdam
32, 50 EUR per person
- We advise to book this tour at least 48 hours in advance
- Check in at the location at least 15 minutes before departure
- Tour is available for a maximum 12 persons
- Due to the changing Dutch weather it is important to make sure to be well equipped against rain and wind, and to be wearing proper footgear for walk